Also Known as: Cape Brandy Pudding. Read the story about how it’s famed around Christmas/ New Years in South Africa.
1 cup of dates, diced
1 cup of boiling water
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2 small eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 large Tablespoons of butter
1 1/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup of walnuts
- Mix chopped dates in boiling water and 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a mug (or small bowl).
- Combine eggs, 1 cup of sugar, butter, flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the date mix/ liquid.
- Add walnuts to the mixture
- Bake for 20-30 minutes in a buttered, floured dish.
To make the syrup:
- Heat 1 and a 1/2 cups of sugar with 3/4 cup of water until dissolved.
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Add a sliver of orange peel and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Add 1/4 cup of brandy (or other liquor).
Drench the cake in the syrup… all of it!
Enjoy warm with whipped cream or ice-cream.